Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Kissing Summer in March

Tonight on my way home from the gym in the cold rain I just wanted it to be summer. I wanted it to be 80 degrees and sunny. I wanted to smell the ocean and taste the salt in the air. I wanted to have sand in between my toes.

Since I have been snowed under literally and figuratively this past weekend, I hadn't had a chance to get to the grocery store. There is a Wild Oats....um I mean "Whole Foods" on the way home from my gym and I stop from time to time to grab a salad from the salad bar or some curry turkey salad. Tonight, on my way into the store to pick up something for dinner, I noticed this big sign that said the "Uglies are here!" "The Uglies? What is an Uglie?", I thought to myself.

Well this is what an Uglie is



Yup, a tomato. Not just any tomato but a tomato that looks like tomato. That smells like a tomato and most importantly, it TASTES like a tomato. It has that sweet but slightly acidic taste and smells like a vine. And apparently there was this big bru ha ha about getting Uglies out of Florida. You see, the folks that bring us those bland non-tomatoes to the grocery stores didn't want us to have them.

Not unlike the big corporate farms don't want the little guy farming fruit and veggies and making them available but that is a band wagon I'm not getting on tonight because I want to go finish this



and watch the election returns and trade barbs with Mike, who will some day leave the dark side and come into the light ;-)

Tomato and Cilantro Salad

1 tomato, diced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, torn into small pieces
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp fesh cracked pepper
1 tsp kosher salt
dash olive oil
dash balsamic vinegar

Combine all the ingredients and let sit for 3o minutes to allow the flavours to mingle. Serve slightly chilled with fresh bread.