Friday, January 27, 2006

A little bit of night music

I started out to post about my very long week but was reminded that today is the 250th anniversary of the birth of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart by Michael over at Musing's musings with his All Mozart Friday Random 10 and when I "googled" a line from a movie that I couldn't remember the source, the Google icon was dressed in a powdered wig and the G was a treble clef with a staff of music behind the "le".

My relationship with Maestro Mozart stretches back almost two score. The very first song I tried to pick out from ear on the piano was "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" (A little night music). I was six and my grandmother had taken me to a matinee Detroit Symphony concert for children. The pianist had played the song and all the way home that evening I sang the melody (my poor grandmother, 5 long hours of a six year old humming the same refrain over and over). It was love at first hearing. In 1984, when the movie Amadeus was released, I dragged my boyfriend at the time to see the movie three times and my mother at least twice. I once drove sixteen hours to hear the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and Chorus under the incomprable Sir Georg Solti perform the Requiem. The final piece of my senior oboe recital in college was the Mozart Oboe Concerto in C Major and to this day, I use the first twenty or so measures as a warm up when I play. It is to his music I turn to when I need to be soothed. When it comes to classical music, it is a horse race between Mahler and Mozart as to who owns my heart. They say the first love is the sweetest. Happy Birthday Wolfie.

Friday Random 10:

You know the game by now: put your Ipod on shuffle and record the first ten songs. No cheating to make yourself look cool or less like a dork. I've provided links (where available) for you to listen along.


1. Fibre De Verre - Paris Combo
2. Remembrance - Delerium
3. Be With You - Enrique Iglesias
4. Come Undone (12" Mix Comin' Together) - Duran Duran
5. Big Time (Extended Version) - Peter Gabriel
6. (Da Le) Yaleo - Santana
7. Desert Rose (Extended Version) - Sting with Cheb Mami
8. I'm No Angel - Dido
9. Planet Earth (Club Mix) - Duran Duran
10. All or Nothing at All - Frank Sinatra

I think my Ipod wanted to go dancing...