Saturday, July 23, 2005

Coming to a city near you...

It looks like Summer is really here on the East Coast. We have had our first official heatwave here in Cambridge, MA. Which, according to Channel 5's latest vapid blond weathercaster, means we have had 3+ days of 90 degree temperatures. I'm not sure where the folks who came up with that definition live, but according to my calculations and the amount of humidity we have had for the past 9 days, I'd say we have had at least three straight heatwaves. Of course, the air conditioner in the car does not work so I've been leaving our nice cool house looking all managerial and get to work looking like I have been doing double duty behind the counter at our local laundry.

Another sign that it is Summer is the influx of the stereotypical clueless American tourist in Boston. If I wasn't quite convinced that we are a nation of geographical and historically challenged people, I am now. While sitting in Dammits this morning, we were all subjected to Loud-Woman-in-Bright-Print-Jacket's early morning chat with her friend back home in Arizona. Call goes like like this (at 90dB mind you, and I am not kidding):

"HI JOANIE!! GUESS WHERE I'M CALLING YOU FROM?! BOSTON. YES. THE FLIGHT WAS FINE. YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BELIEVE THIS!!! BOSTON IS ON THE OCEAN! I'M TAKING THE RENTAL CAR AND DRIVING UP TO CAPE COD TOMORROW!!! DID YOU KNOW THAT CAPE COD AND BOSTON ARE ON THE OCEAN??"

Now I'm not sure where this lady learned geography or history from but just where did she think Boston was? As MBH so succinctly put it, "Where did she think they threw the tea?" I wonder if she knows if she drives "up" to the Cape she will find Maine? Loud Lady's comments were almost as priceless as when my mother and I were at the U.S.S. Constitution several years ago waiting to go on board for a Turn-Around cruise where we happened to overhear another Stupid Tourist gem. This cutsie teenybopper was with her girlfriend oohing and ahhing over the guys in Navy whites who where on duty, when she turned and asked the gentleman in front of her where "Old Ironsides" was and how far she had to go to get to the Atlantic Ocean. My mom and I looked at each other, turned our backs and under our breaths muttered, "Keep walking about 10 yards honey and you'll fall into the Atlantic Ocean right in front of Old Ironsides".

Yup, they are all out on a day pass and just like the Swallows of Capistrano, it is Summer in Boston...


7/24 Update: Overheard today in Public Gardens near famous statue of George Washington, "I didn't know Paul Revere wore a uniform on his ride."